Monday, September 22, 2008

My purpose, my mission

I confess up front that I have been a preacher since 1976. And, as a preacher, I have often jokingly said, "I wish that Jesus would just email me the sermon". And, in addition to that, I wish he would send me a "things to do today" list each morning. But that is not the way of Jesus.

It really amazes me that he trusts me so deeply to allow me to make the choices of how I spend my time. For that reason, in my own eyes it is so much more crucial for me to "outline" my plans as I strive for them to be Jesus-centered. I begin with the central purpose that I believe Jesus has for my life and move from that to quarterly, weekly and daily plans. At least I continually hope that each day I hit closer to what God wants done .

My purpose, my mission that I seek to live by is this:

Walking with the Lord Jesus every day, I will seek to win people over to him, and to teach them how to follow Jesus and win people over to him as well.

I strive to let this God-given purpose guide all my decisions.

No comments: