Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Connecting With God: A Spiritual Formation Guide

Connecting with God is a 12-week long course that explores God and God's relationship with us. The authors of this are Lynda Graybeal and Julia Roller. The introduction is written by one who is known for his work on spiritual disciplines: Richard Foster.

I have been using it during my 5-week formational and spiritual growth leave reading three lessons per week. Through it, I have been exploring areas such as living, talking, meeting, listening, hearing, perceiving, seeking, seeing, sensing, encountering, wrestling, and walking with God.

Each day begins with a devotional reading from Christian authors. And then it is followed by a 'My Life with God Exercise' that includes a Scripture lesson and four means of reflection upon that lesson until you finish with 'taking it further'. I do like the way it is structured and a prayer that pulls from both Psalm 25 and 27. It goes as follows:

To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
Make me to know your ways, O LORD;
teach me your paths.
Lead me in truth, and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation,
for you I wait all day long.
"Come," my heart says, "seek his face!"
Your face, LORD, do I seek.
Give ear to me words, O LORD;
give heed to my sighing.
Listen to the sound of my cry,
My King and my God,
for to you I pray. Amen.

To you, O LORD; to you ... may all be to you.

1 comment:

Trish said...

It's nice to see you blogging, again. I've missed it ... and you.