Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Who Stole My Church?

I finished a day and a half reading Who Stole My Church? What to Do When the Church You Love Tries to Enter the 21st Century. The author is Gordon MacDonald written in 2007.

It is a fictional work where a pastor tells the story of a congregation that is changing in order to reach the community around them. It follows the basic style of C. S. Lewis book, The Great Divorce, because each chapter in both deals with different individual response to change. And MacDonald also tells of how the pastor and others in the community of faith deal with that response.

The question in the book's title comes from a parishioner asking it because that person's present-day church is totally different from that character's past. It was worth my time to read. It includes "points to ponder" that are discussion questions in the back of the book for each chapter. I can see this as a book for various groups at church to explore and ponder.

No comments: