Monday, November 2, 2009

This morning's reading ...

This morning's reading was Job 23-24.

In these two chapters he answers his accusers admitting that he is indeed very bitter over all the wrong things that happened to him. He groans so much he wants to have a down right fight with God. He sees that challenging God scene as him being his own lawyer before God arguing for his innocence. He is daring enough to claim that God would give in to him.

The talking words of Job that stick out to me are,

My foot has held fast to his steps;
I have kept his way and have not turned aside.
I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
I have treasured in my bosom the words of his mouth.
But he stands alone and who can dissuade him?
What he desires, that he does.
For he will complete what he appoints for me;
and many such things are in his mind.
Therefore I am terrified at his presence;
when I consider, I am in dread of him.
God has made my heart faint;
the Almighty has terrified me;
If only I could vanish in darkness,
and thick darkness would cover my face!
(Job 23:11-17)

Although they cause trouble for Job, "What he (the LORD) desires, that he does. For he will complete what he appoints for me; and many such things are in his mind" (v. 13b-14). These words terrify Job, personally for me they give me hope. For in my mind and heart God desires only good. If only Job knew that, but he will learn ...

No comments: