Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why?

"Why?" It is a question that keeps on coming up. My first thoughts on it go back to the days when young children are asking it as in,

Grandchild: "Pop, why does the sun come up every day?"
Pop: "Because the earth turns."
Grandchild: "Why?'
Pop: "Because God made it that way."
Grandchild: "Why?"

And on and on the question continues all through life for deeper and deeper reasons. Such Job does of God after all the tragedies hit him: "Why, God, why?"

‘Why did you bring me forth from the womb?
Would that I had died before any eye had seen me,
and were as though I had not been,
carried from the womb to the grave.
Are not the days of my life few?
Let me alone, that I may find a little comfort
before I go, never to return,
to the land of gloom and deep darkness,
the land of gloom and chaos,
where light is like darkness.’
(Job 10:18-22)

Job does not yet give a clear answer to Job's "Why?" But I will hang around with Job and listen.

No comments: