Wednesday, October 21, 2009

... with no justifiable reasoning?

Job, chapters 6 & 7, record Job's reply to Eliphaz's interpretation of Job's suffering as predominantly being the 'discipline of the Almighty'. After Eliphaz's 'attempt to comfort' Job if such was possible at that moment, Job's reply is summarized in these words:

‘Teach me, and I will be silent;
make me understand how I have gone wrong.
How forceful are honest words!
But your reproof, what does it reprove?
(Job 6.24-25)

Job, who is described in that book as sinless, sees no reasoning behind his suffering so he will continually challenge those in conversation with him who attempt to 'justify' his suffering. The story of Job will continue.

Does unjust suffering just happen with no justifiable reasoning? That is a big question. But for now I will just ask it as I continue to read Job.

No comments: