Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Old Testament connections ...

Cast your burden on the Lord,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit the righteous to be moved.
(Psalm 55:22)

Just before I took my class on the gospel of Matthew the professor for that class died and the teacher moving in to teach was an Old Testament professor, John Hayes. The one part of the class I will remember was the connection he would make between the books of the New Testament written after Jesus and the books of the Old Testament written before him.

Hayes shaped my thinking this morning as I read from Psalm 55:22 for that verse made me recall Jesus words in Matthew 11:28-30 that are very similar. Jesus may have even had in mind Psalm 55 when he said,

‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

No comments: