Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Personality Code ...

I am one that strives to know my own self better each day. The reason is my belief that in doing so I can better follow God's desire to fine-tune my strengths while making proactive decisions to deal with one of our weaknesses. Lately, following the advice of one of my mentors, I have read a book by Travis Bradberry entitled The Personality Code.

The author sees the first step in understanding one's self as having three parts: our IQ (intelligence); our EQ (emotional intelligence); and our personality code. The personality code helped me to determine my dominant, interpersonal, steady, and conscientious tendencies. It also helped me to see if I am more active or reactive as well as whether or not I am more time-oriented to tasks or people.

After I took the personality code test I, at first, got a chuckle at discovering that my code is "the architect" because when I felt the call to the ordained ministry I was studying to be a civil engineer. The architect code does sound familiar on a daily level just considering my daily focus on my lifelong mission/purpose; yearly focus; quarterly plans; and daily tasks based on the purpose/quarterly plans. As Bradberry writes of the architect: "...your ultimate goal is to get something done right, and you have a strong sense of clarity in determining the correct way to complete the task" (57).

The strengths and challenges that Bradberry defines for the architect sound familiar as well. The strengths are decisions are well thought out, strong organizational skills, and paying attention to detail. The challenges are focusing on the big picture, following your gut, and tolerating change.

The biggest advice he writes to the architect speak close to me: "Try not to let change take you by surprise; it's often just around the corner" (58).

The advice that the mentor gave me that suggested this book is straight on target. He said, "just trust yourself", and Bradberry's advice to the architect is learn "to trust your gut. Since every decision can't be well thought out ..." (90).

Thanks again to the mentor that suggested this, and other, readings ...

No comments: