Friday, May 15, 2009

Such trust!

We also constantly give thanks to God for this, that when you received the word of God that you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word but as what it really is, God’s word, which is also at work in you believers. For you, brothers and sisters, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you suffered the same things from your own compatriots as they did ...

(1 Thessalonians 2:13-14a)

The longer I have been a pastor the more amazed I am that God has entrusted the proclamation of his word by words and deeds of love through me. God is a delegating God. For this to happen, God trusts that I will take the time to read through all of Scripture again and again, and seek to hear God's message to God's people to whom I proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ.

This challenges me to look and see what word "is also at work in you believers". That is, what message is being lived out in the people of God to whom I am proclaiming God's word? Such can well be God's word to me.

Lord, may I pay attention to your word alive in your people. Amen.

No comments: