Friday, May 1, 2009

Treating children as we would Jesus ...

As I was reading the text this morning it was natural for me to be thinking of a couple of groups: my grandchildren, the oldest of which is eight, and churches that I have served with child care centers. God sees these as the greatest. My first thought into that is how, in emotionally healthy environments, children rapidly grow in areas such as physical development, healthy reasoning, emotional maturing (at a childhood level), learning to relate to other people, hand-eye coordination, and ...

My hunch is that Jesus had such in mind in his answer to his disciples question as the following goes:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, ‘Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, ‘Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.'
(Matthew 18:1-5).

No comments: