Monday, June 15, 2009

according to their druthers ...

In talking to one of my mentors that person suggested that I read The Art of Connecting: How to Overcome Differences, Build Rapport, and Communicate Effectively with Anyone. Claire Raines and Lara Ewing are the authors and it was published in 2006.

They chose leaders to open up with including Terry Gross, Richard and Michelle Steckel, and Hector Orci, who from their perspective, have lived out 'the Titanium Rule':

Do unto others according to their druthers.

The most helpful part of this book for me was pressing me to, as much as possible, be the 'third-person' observer in my relationships that looks at them from a third more neutral angle. As they write, "Step into the third person, or observer, perspective by imagining how you would see yourself from a distance..." (127). This was a challenging work that has pushed me to new angles of understanding more of myself giving me more insight at self-evaluation.

For those who want to manage and train themselves more this is worth the reading. Included in this work are exercises for small groups to use in learning this process.

After all, exceptional leaders excellently lead themselves.

No comments: