Thursday, June 18, 2009

Just old salt ...

Conduct yourselves wisely towards outsiders,
making the most of the time.
Let your speech always be gracious,
seasoned with salt,
so that you may know how you ought to answer everyone.
(Colossians 4:5-6)

When I first read "seasoned with salt", and wondered what it meant, I looked into biblical references about salt written before Colossians. Honestly, I used Oremus Bible Browser on the internet and these are the biblical references to salt that I believe relates to its meaning in Colossians:
  • "... make an incense blended as by the perfumer, seasoned with salt, pure and holy" (Exodus 30.35);
  • "... with all your offerings you shall offer salt" (Leviticus 2.13);
  • "All the holy offerings that the Israelites present to the Lord I have given to you, together with your sons and daughters, as a perpetual due; it is a covenant of salt for ever before the Lord for you and your descendants as well" (Numbers 18.19);
  • "Then he went to the spring of water and threw the salt into it, and said, ‘Thus says the Lord, I have made this water wholesome ...’" (2 Kings 2.21:);
  • "Do you not know that the Lord God of Israel gave the kingship over Israel for ever to David and his sons by a covenant of salt?" (2 Chronicles 13.5).

So salt is biblically associated with sacrifices given to the Lord, with covenant agreements made with the Lord, and with wholesome living.

So, for me, to see to it that my speech is seasoned with salt is to see that my words are an appropriate, agreeable, and wholesome sacrifice to God. I will strive to do so.

No comments: