Monday, June 8, 2009

The ball game ...

I watched one of my grandchildren's baseball game last night. He is eight years old and, in Pop's (my) eyes, he has exceeding talent on the ball field. His gifts for the field are first concentration and determination. And as I watched his games I have seen again that he has a good pitching control and distance for his age. And, when it comes to outfield, in one of the games he made a diving catch on the run in left center field. At that point even the coach on the opposing team was telling our coach how exceptional that was to see at his age. And when he is playing the catching position he has learned to take off his mask and go to catch the popped up ball. At that age each team member will play around three positions in each game, and he has usually gone to catch, be defensively beside the pitcher's mound (as an adult pitches for that age group), and in an outfield position.

This morning there is a smile on my face as I am thinking of and praying for all four of my grandchildren.

Rejoice in the LORD, O you righteous.
Praise befits the upright.
Praise the LORD with the lyre;
make melody to him with the harp of ten strings.
Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
(Psalm 33:1-3)

No comments: