Thursday, July 16, 2009

How did you do that?

When I ask someone the question, "How did you do that?" I expect to hear about planning, study, training, procedure, tools, time, etc.

But the Bible is one of those curious books. In Hebrews, chapter 11, the writer is actually writing our a very brief history of God's people. For example, he summarizes the first five books of the Bible in the opening twenty-two verses! And, as he begins the story of the good works of the star characters he says: "By faith ..."

That would be like me saying ...
  • By faith I got up;
  • By faith I cleaned up;
  • By faith I ate breakfast;
  • By faith I added to my facebook;
  • By faith I blogged;
  • By faith ...

Scripture wants to impress on us that there is absolutely nothing good we can do without trusting God for faith is simply trusting God so much that it spills over into good works for God, neighbor, enemy and self.

No comments: