Thursday, July 9, 2009

When I think of "heart" ...

In the Scripture lessons read on Tuesday one has stuck with me. It is as follows:

My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever.
Indeed, those who are far from you will perish;
you put an end to those who are false to you.
But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
to tell of all your works.
Psalm 73:26-28

When I think of "heart" I think of ...
  • what is central such as "the heart of the matter";
  • love as in "I love you with all my heart";
  • hurting such as a 'broken heart';
  • rhythm as in the beating of one's heart;
  • a constant flow of not only the blood through the heart but of life in our experience;
  • a consistent movement from tension to rest; and,
  • a promise such as "I cross my heart".

So for me to say, God is the strength of my heart acknowledges that it takes the power of God to be or do or say anything from the heart. Indeed, for me it takes the power of God just for the heart to beat.

No comments: