Sunday, July 26, 2009

Water

Water is a necessary resource for without it all of the living creation on earth dies. I drink water to replenish my body. Such was so true yesterday as I drank eight cups of water during breaks from cutting our lawn as I always do with a push-mower. I also use water to bathe, wash cars, swim, cool off, and water our tomatoes so I use water in countless ways. All the ways that water is used helps me to identify the meaning of baptism which is the use of water in sprinkling, pouring or immersion as one unites for the first time with the Church. That is, through baptism God cleans our soul, nourishes us, enlivens us, provides for us, replenishes us. Peter reflected on my, and our, baptism when he wrote:

And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you—not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers made subject to him.

(1 Peter 3:21-22).

See you this morning. Worship hour is at 10:00 AM.

No comments: