Saturday, August 8, 2009

A city-slicker in a fruitful song ...

I am a city-slicker. That is, I gardened a couple of years in the early 80's. Well, this year I have a couple of tomato plants in large flower pots on our patio. I have added in fertilizer weekly plus keeping it watered. Now they were planted late and so yesterday we had our first tomato! So a smile came on my face as I read the words below from Habakkuk.

Though the fig tree does not blossom,
and no fruit is on the vines;
though the produce of the olive fails
and the fields yield no food;
though the flock is cut off from the fold
and there is no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will exult in the God of my salvation.
God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
and makes me tread upon the heights.

To the leader: with stringed instruments.

Habakkuk 3:17-19

(The last part of this text that is "to the leader" indicates that this may have been the words of a hymn. And with one tomato I do feel like singing).

No comments: