Sunday, August 23, 2009

Our God-given target

But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare ... For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord ... (Jeremiah 29:7, 11-14a).

During the time of this writing Israel had been hauled into exile to Babylon by the Babylonian military. God's advice is to make the best of their exile by seeking the welfare of the place to which they have been exiled--to do what is best for the others of that place. Such will be their welfare and not their harm

These sound like the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:25-33 or 7:7-11.

I invite you to come to a place where you may once again meet up with Jesus. That place is:

Arlington UMC
1360 Murfreesboro Road

(between Briley Parkway and the airport runway that goes across Murfeesboro Road)

arlingtonum.org

Sunday, 8:30 AM: Community breakfast:
Sunday: 10:00 AM: Worship

(615) 361-4896

No comments: