Tuesday, August 4, 2009

For all ...

Many Samaritans from that city believed in him because of the woman’s testimony,
‘He told me everything I have ever done.’
John 4:39


What this story in John 4 suggest to me is that in order for me to know myself best, it will be helpful to have regular conversations with Jesus. For me, Jesus speaks first of all through Scripture.

But there are other ways he may speak as well through any ways he chooses. Here are just a few of the ways I have heard Jesus speak personally to me:

  • all of the worship experiences;
  • conversations;
  • personal reflections on events;
  • readings other than Scripture;
  • observations; and,
  • letters received and sent.

There are times when I see life as Jesus trying to constantly get his message of loving God, neighbor, self, and enemy across. And, as impossible as it sounds, I believe his message never comes back empty. That is, there is always at least one who listens, understands, and acts out the love of Jesus for all ... for all.

No comments: