Monday, August 31, 2009

So the day begins ...

I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them; I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, so that they may follow my statutes and keep my ordinances and obey them. Then they shall be my people, and I will be their God.
Ezekiel 11:19-20

My first thoughts about being given a heart have been my friends that have had heart transplants. Before the transplant their life was no doubt in an ending process while afterward their life had a new beginning. These are the particular words in Ezekiel that make me think along that line: 'one heart', 'new spirit', 'removal of the heart of stone', and 'give them a heart of flesh'.

Such is indeed a new life and this is what Ezekiel speaks of. In his perspective a new life pulls toward oneness with God, is given breath (spirit) by God, removes the stone-heart that resists God ... that worships idols (some of which were made of stone), and gives them a heart full of life.

LORD God, giver of new hearts: Renew our national and international leaders; the Universal Church; our bishops, cabinets, denominational and local church leaders. Do such that our leaders together may encourage us to visibly make your vision a reality. Keep us in tune with your vision expressed by Your Son and empowered by Your Spirit: 'Love God, neighbor, enemy, and self.' Please make us instruments of your grace. All praise be to you who does the impossible! Amen.

No comments: