Sunday, August 2, 2009

Reflections on God ...

Part of my favorite imagery of God is as a potter. I would imagine that such is partially true because of gifts that I received from laity that they made with their hands. Such has been a coffee cup at my first student-pastor assignment (while I was attending college). And, although is cracked, I have never thrown it away. Other such items have been clay lanterns, and other home-made coffee cups.

That imagery of God that I have is One who slowly molds us into Christian perfection, that is, creatures of love for God, neighbor, self, and enemy. My belief is God will mold us as fast as we will allow God to do. That came to mind as I read Isaiah 64:8 ...

Yet, O Lord, you are our Father;
we are the clay, and you are our potter;
we are all the work of your hand.


May we allow God to mold us into those God desires us to be.

No comments: