Tuesday, August 11, 2009

There is a balm ...

One of my favorite texts provides the background for an African-American spiritual. The text is as follows: "Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why has the health of my poor people not been restored?" (Jeremiah 8:22).

The spiritual on my mind and heart this morning is a response to these questions, and a positive one at that. It goes like this:

Refrain:
There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin sick soul.

Sometimes I feel discouraged,
And think my work's in vain,
But then the Holy Spirit
Revives my soul again.

Don't ever feel discouraged,
for Jesus is your friend,
and if you look for knowledge
he'll ne'er refuse to lend.

If you can't preach like Peter,
If you can't pray like Paul,
Just tell the love of Jesus,
And say He died for all.

No comments: