Monday, January 5, 2009

Going to where I don't want to go ...

But he said to them,
‘I (Jesus) must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other cities also;
for I was sent for this purpose.’
Luke 4:43

Officially, the twelve days of Christmas continues that celebrates the coming of Jesus through January 5, today! As I continue to celebrate his birth I read Luke 4 this morning, and there Jesus voiced his purpose--to proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God.

For Jesus proclamation was by both loving words and loving, care-filled, deeds.

It was good news that God receives the most unexpected people into his kingdom (the least and last the believing community expects!). So the reference to "other cities".

And ultimately such was Jesus purpose!

The phrase "kingdom of God" means "the place where God rules". For Jesus, these places were those that the religious avoided at all cost. I strive to keep that in mind as I plan my time by asking, "Where is the place I really would rather not go?" and then to go there.

Such may well be your call today as well.

No comments: