Saturday, January 31, 2009

Even when life stinks ...

"... it is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing odor, an offering by fire to the LORD."
(Exodus 29:18b)

This comes from a biblical scene of the time before Jesus when God called for burning sacrifices. Specifically, this scene is one of burning a ram offered for the sins of Israel. I picture myself at that scene of a burning sarifice. I see it burning. I hear the crackling of the fire. My eyes burn from the smoke. But as I smell the sacrifice what I smell is burnt meat ... not the best smell in the world. Yet, to the nostrils of the LORD this is a "pleasing odor"!

The point is obvious for me. An action that may not smell good to me while it is a pleasing smell to God for God sees the intent.

Thanks be to the LORD who uses human actions for the good in spite of how they smell.

No comments: