Thursday, January 15, 2009

Just so, I tell you ...

God is my shield, who saves the upright in heart.
God is a righteous judge, and
a God who has indignation every day.
(Psalm 7:10-11)

"Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven
over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine
righteous persons who need no repentance"
(Luke 15:7)

I confess that the sin of too many pastors including myself is to be so centered on local churches that we find it more difficult to be centered upon Jesus Christ. Now there is no doubt that Jesus attended local places of worship in his day called 'synagogues'. Coming to places of worship and centering upon God Almighty is a vital part of worship, but at the close of every worship experience in the house of God we are invited to go out into the world and win others for Jesus Christ. We are to do so by good deeds and words of innovative love. Most churches I have been a pastor of has served the Lord in good deeds, while failing to make connection between their good deeds and the word or message of Jesus love for those they helped.

Luke 15 records three stories told by Jesus. The first two tell of some things that were lost and then found. And the third tells of a father's constant love for his two lost sons, one that ran away and one that was with him every day. The celebration of all three stories revolved around the lost being found.

Right now the reason I see of the lack of joy I have predominantly seen in local churches is we (including the laity) focus far two much on "ninety-nine persons who need no repentance" and far too little on the "one sinner" to whom God is calling us to go.

So my focus is striving to move more outside the local church.

Will you do so as well?

No comments: