Thursday, January 1, 2009

Just Reflections ...

See, I am making all things new.
Revelations 21:5a

Jesus Christ has made me new in a number of different ways. The first, of course, was marriage. Then there was the birth of our children, grandchildren, the deaths of grandparents, and one of our parents. And then there is simply the passage of time that changes all.

One of the professors I had was Kennon L. Callahan (KLC) who began by writing Twelve Keys to an Effective Church. I recall that these words of Revelations 21:5 were on his lips usually as a final lecture of each of his classes. He was one of the first who voiced to me that strength-based planning was a critical part of being a good leader. As I have reflected upon that theme I see that it fit me well for my parents also influenced me in strength-based living . From the business world, KLC pulled from such people as Peter Drucker and Robert Greenleaf. And from the biblical world he pulled from God's work that focuses upon using the strengths of people not only for the benefit of serving others but to make them new as they learn new ways to use their strengths.

In my more recent experience those who have reinforced this theme are Marcus Buckingham's emphasis to focus on our top five strengths, my EQ-360 experience (that also included realization of my weaknesses as well as working on strengthening one of these), and Peter Senge's Fifth Discipline that both acknowledges a group's resistance to change and calls the leaders of change to be consistent, understanding of all sides, and patient in the change process. (This is a very, very short synopsis of Senge's extensive work).

So my short reflection on the first day of this year is on the many and various ways God has prepared me for 2009.

I invite you to take a bit of time to answer these questions:

How has God been preparing you for 2009?

And, does God's preparing of you convey any messages about what God would like you to focus upon in 2009?

1 comment:

Jon(the methodist) said...

Dear John: I enjoyed your reflections on the influence of Ken Callahan. I never had the privilege of being in his classroom but our AC (North Carolina)has been shaped by his teaching significantly. David Cooperrider's writings also walk along side ken's but not from the same faith-posture. I am brand new to this blogging adventure (jonthemethodist) but hope to follow your reflections. I really enjoyed this one. Still In ONE Peace - jon(the methodist)