Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A New Year's Eve Confession

I confess that the older I get the faster time flies for it is hard to believe that today is the last day of the year! My own theories are that the speed of time increases as you age because of a mixture of things.
  • Your subconscious mind is telling you there is more time before the present than after in your life;
  • Your responsibilities increase each year. First yourself, then your mate, then your children, then grandchildren, then parents, and in our future there will likely be great-grandchildren. (Such does not even consider other life areas such as vocation or occupation that has increased responsibilities as the years pass.)

My hunch is that as I age the zeroing in of the compass, that is choosing the actions that best shape the future, becomes crucial. And, oddly enough, time alone to consider such has become vital.

Time -- it is such a gift that, irregardless of our age, our economic condition, God has given us all equally. That is, we have been given the same number of seconds in a minute, minutes in an hour, hours in a day, etc, to live.

Pray that I use my time well in 2009.

And my prayers will be the same for you as well.

6:30 PM

New Year's Eve Worship

Arlington UMC (arlingtonum.org)

No comments: