Wednesday, December 3, 2008

This Sunday, December 7 ...

Sunday will be December 7, 2008, the 67th anniversary of Pearl Harbor so my mind looks back to that event of tragedy. And, at the same time looks across the earth at our national forces at work in Iraq and Afghanistan.

With my mind on this I cannot help but remember that my father was part of the 8th Army Air Corp in Europe. He flew as a top-turret gunner on a B-24, a large high-altitude bomber of that day. We met eight of his ten fellow crewman at an 8th Air Force reunion in San Antonio, Texas. And my mind goes as well to my brother that was in the Army during Vietnam from 1966 to 1968.

For me, Psalm 85, which will be the sermon text for this coming Sunday not only speaks to a nation that is remembering peace and experiencing war, but also speaks to a nation that is in any type of trouble such as our economic concerns. For this psalm moves from recalling good times (vv. 1-3); calls out for restoration and help in bad times (vv. 4-7); has faith that in spite of the presence of tragedy, God will surely bring help (vv. 8-9); and has confidence in the final good effect of God (vv. 10-13).

In invite you to read Psalm 85 for verse nine says,

"Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him,
that his glory may dwell in our land".

No comments: