Monday, December 22, 2008

If you have courage ...

‘If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,
to be with you for ever.
This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive,
because it neither sees him nor knows him.
You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.'
(John 14:15-17)

From my own experience, it becomes more difficult each day to be Christ-centered as Christmas approaches.

The world has so many things to distract our attention from being so. Just consider all the television, radio, mail, and Internet advertisements that say "do this, buy that".

And then our families will be coming together for Christmas and our minds go to such questions as these. Where is the best place to meet? Who will be preparing the main course? the vegetables? fruits? salads? deserts? Who will be setting up? cleaning after? tearing down?

And then ... and then ... and then ...

I have tried in the last month to work ahead, but such is not possible for everyone. Like other vocations, I will still be on call for the hospitalized, etc. How do I handle such best? To take advantage of every down time possible.

So my invitation to you and your household is to take advantage of down times. When they arrive, sit still in silence, remember that Jesus loves you with a love that cannot be measured.
More often that I can count I have simply prayed, "Thank you Lord for loving me."

And, then, if you have courage, join me in praying,

"Speak, Lord, your servant is listening."

You are invited to be our guest in the
Celebration of Jesus’ Birth
at 11:00 PM.

Arlington United Methodist Church
1360 Murfreesboro Road
Nashville, TN

(Between Briley Parkway and the airport runway over Murfreesboro Road)

arlingtonum.org
(615) 361-4896

No comments: