Monday, December 15, 2008

Whenver you face trials ...

For me, serving others is my main source of happiness. According to other's evaluation of me (EQ-360) I am one whose major strength is "social responsibility", that is in my words, a call to serve. Servanthood brings much joy. But there are challenges along the way, so here my thoughts are more for those challenges. The opening words in the letter of James that is in the Bible is addressed as follows.

"My brothers and sisters,
whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy,
because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance;
and let endurance have its full effect,
so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing"
(James 1:2-4)

From my own experience the most difficult moments in my life have been those that have produced the best results. They made me aware of personal changes that must be made in order for my leadership skills to further develop. I think of years ago when in my second job location I attempted to imitate what occurred at the first location because it was exceedingly successful .... disaster occurred. Or a location where my leadership style was once again legitimately challenged. They both have been the more major "trials" of my work. Yet, from those trials, I have learned. I have even also learned that it is as crucial to pay attention to minor, smaller challenges as well. They, too, are sources of personal growth.

So Jame's words: "Whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy" speak personally to me for they talk of lessons that can be learned by the more difficult and maybe even tense moments in life.

My hope is that when you have those tense moments this week, may you pause your response, stand still, and look for the lesson to be learned.

No comments: