Friday, December 12, 2008

Trust God in smaller matters ...

Consequently he able for all time to save those who approach God through him,
since he always lives to make intercession for them
(Hebrews 7:25)

Intercession is praying for other people such as family, friends and even enemies. It is I interceding with God on behalf of others.

Long ago I learned that in order to intercede it is better to pray about small things at first, even areas in which you believe God is too busy to answer such an "unimportant" prayer. Here is one example. On Tuesday afternoon I was involved in a three hour board meeting. On arriving there I was expecting a call from a service person for our heat was out for the second time this winter. (Of course, I turned off the ringer.) My phone vibrated during the board meeting so I glanced at my phone, saw it was the service person, walked out in the hall, and answered. As he gave data, I reached into my pocket for a pen and there was not one there. So, as the conversation continued I simply prayed in my mind to find one and as I looked there was a table in the hall with an ink pen there. Simple situation ... simple prayer. Other simpler situations are colds, headaches, and sprained ankles.

Such begins to build one's faith or trust in God before our prayers are over really crucial matters such as persons with more serious conditions such as cancer. Does this mean the answer from God will be more what we desire? No, not necessarily, but it will mean that because of when God has answered prayers over smaller issues, our trust in God will have grown and will have better prepared us .

No comments: