Saturday, December 20, 2008

As Christmas Approaches ...

Scripture: On the last day of the festival, the great day, while Jesus was standing there, he cried out, ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, and let the one who believes in me drink. As the scripture has said, “Out of the believer’s heart shall flow rivers of living water.” ’ Now he said this about the Spirit, which believers in him were to receive; for as yet there was no Spirit, because Jesus was not yet glorified. (John 7:37-39).

Observation: The setting of this saying of Jesus is during the Jewish Festival of Booths (John 7: 2). During this week-long festival the people of Israel would do such actions as recalling various merciful acts of God with people important in their history, and requesting that God give them enough rain for the coming growing season. So it is in this setting that Jesus says, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me ..." and “Out of the believer’s heart shall flow rivers of living water.”

Application: What am I thirsty for? Is it what Jesus desires me to have? And am I daring enough to ask Jesus to quench my thirst?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I am thirsty to write for you. If it is what you desire, may my thirst be quenched and bring praise to you.

Yield: To what the Lord provides.

You are invited to be our guest in the
Celebration of Jesus’ Birth
at 11:00 PM.

Arlington United Methodist Church
1360 Murfreesboro Road
Nashville, TN

(Between Briley Parkway and the airport runway over Murfreesboro Road)

arlingtonum.org
(615) 361-4896

No comments: