Saturday, January 3, 2009

Worship God!

Worship God!
(a part of Revelation 19:10)

For me the two words above are the central message of not only Revelation but all of Scripture. Scripture sees the need for worship to be a daily experience.

Historically, this became especially important in Israel's history when their central place of worship, The Temple of Jerusalem (where animal, plant and other sacrifices were given to God), was destroyed in the Babylonian invasion of Israel. Their Temple-less setting reminds me of a conversation I had with a German professor of Christian theology. I asked him why most Christian theologians (thinkers) are from Germany. And to that he said, 'Because through the centuries war destroyed so many local churches that we had to sit at home and think about God'. So, for me, a part of our daily worship is to take time to 'think' about God. Such is reading Scripture, prayer, and asking, 'OK, God, what do you have to say for yourself?'

Another way worship is a daily experience for me is to pay attention for the moments of encountering God each day. Such can be most anything. Sitting at our table and playing Monopoly with our grandchildren. Having a phonecall from our children. Sitting with my wife. Counseling with a couple preparing for marriage. Listening to one who has experienced the death of a loved one. Being in conversation with those who are dying. Or sitting at a bar drinking a cup of coffee and talking with those at the bar.

Worship, for me, is just living for without my worship of God there is nothing.

Our worship time is every day, every moment, yes. Our coming together to worship God is on Sunday morning at 10:00 AM.

See you then ... arlingtonum.org

No comments: