Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dialogue

So Philip ran up to it and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah.
He asked, ‘Do you understand what you are reading?’
He replied, ‘How can I, unless someone guides me?’
And he invited Philip to get in and sit beside him.
(Acts 8:30-31)

From my own experience the best guide I have seen has been in the context of small groups that are open to what is called dialogue. Dialogue takes it that not one person in the group has all the wisdom required for action. The visual image I have of such an experience is each person bringing to the group at most a few pieces of the puzzle of decision(s). The best leaders recognize the need to team wrestle with the joint mission, vision and actions of an organization.

I see the story of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch of Acts 8 as one example of this team wrestling. Philip heard the eunuch's story and that helped Philip understand his predicament. And while they listened to each other the wisdom of God came.

So true today for me. Wisdom can definitely come directly from God ... no doubt of that. But more often God's wisdom comes through indirect means such as dialogue with those around us.

No comments: