Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A listening God ...

Right now I am sitting at Panera Bread. As I just sit I am overhearing a number of conversations going on. Because the speakers are so many it is difficult to pick up upon one conversation. With this setting my mind drifts to a number of scenes in a movie called "Bruce Almighty". In that movie, God appoints Bruce to be "god" for a while so that God can go on a vacation and part of Bruce's work is to answer prayers ... prayers from every human being on earth! It is a movie worth watching.

It is amazing for me to just imagine God being able to listen to me as if I was the only one on earth. Or, to go further, to listen to all of us at the same time and hear each of us as if we were the only one. A demonstration that God listens to us is the way he spoke to a man named Paul.

One night the Lord said to Paul in a vision,
‘Do not be afraid, but speak and do not be silent;
for I am with you, and no one will lay a hand on you to harm you,
for there are many in this city who are my people.’ (Acts 18:9-10)

No comments: