Saturday, February 7, 2009

More of a demand on me ...

The older I get the more I realize how demanding love is on itself. That is, my love is by far more of a demand on me than it is on anyone else.

My belief is as well that principally the love of God has more of a demand on God than it has on us. This is what I mean: God's love demands that God love the unlovable. Examples of this 'unlovableness' is a world that has enough food for all yet some of the powers that be refuse to see that all are fed. It is also a world where wars have been fought to the end that those infected with A.I.D.S. purposefully went and spread it among their enemies. It is a world where economic decisions made in our generation will effect who knows how many future generations.

God's love demands that he continue to love in spite of us. That demanding love is the setting I see underneath these words in Leviticus:

"When anyone sins unintentionally..." (Leviticus 4:2b).

Unintentional sin is, of course, a sin (mistake, error, words that were said one way and heard another) we did not intend to do. In the world before Jesus a sacrifice would need to be made to God even for unintentional sins. Now that Jesus has come, we believe that his death was a perfect sacrifice for all sins so now such a sacrifce is no longer needed. In the death of Jesus, God's Son, God ultimately showed how demanding God's love is on God for it demanded the life, death, and resurrection of His Son, Jesus.

And, with that in mind, my love is to demand more on me than anyone else.

No comments: