Monday, February 9, 2009

"... the LORD opened her heart ..."

"the Lord opened her heart to listen eagerly to what Paul said"
Acts 16:14-15


The first thoughts I have around the three words "opened her heart" is a literal meaning such as a person having their heart opened for surgical procedures. But such is not what is the biblical meaning of opening the heart. The heart in the ancient biblical understandings of the human anatomy was the place of our identity. The heart was the center of not only life but also our emotions, thoughts, plans, relationships, aims, and purpose. Sayings such as "I love you with all my heart" and "Cross my heart" came from this ancient understanding of the heart.

So for the LORD to open her, Lydia's, heart was to open all her life to listen eagerly to what Paul said. Her emotions, thoughts, plans, relationships, aims and purpose--all of her--was opened to listen eagerly to what Paul said. And Paul's very basic message was 'Jesus died, was raised from death, and appeared'. And on top of that what Jesus has inspired in our hearts is to allow his full love for God, neighbor, enemy and self to remake us in the image of God.

It is of help for me to remember when I am in conversation with others that the LORD must prepare all those in conversations, including myself, to listen well.

"LORD, open my heart and the hearts of those with which I am in conversation."

No comments: