Saturday, February 14, 2009

Use of imagination in reading the Scriptures ...

Imagination helps me a lot when I am reading. That is what I experienced as I was reading Psalm 24. When I read "the earth is the Lord's and all that is in it, the world, and those who live in it" (v. 1) I remembered a couple of scenes. One is a popular photograph of the earth taken from the moon, and another is imagining that I am traveling all through he earth seeing various forms of animals and plants including humans of all different races and languages.

When I read the words of Psalm 24:7-8 I pictured people standing outside the house of worship asking to come in so that it would go something like this ...

People requesting entrance: "Lift up your heads, O gates! and be lifted up, O ancient doors! that the King of glory may come in.

Those within: Who is the King of glory?

People requesting entrance: The Lord, strong and mighty, the Lord, mighty in battle".

And then the doors of the house of worship are opened, those that requested entrance enter, and what is recognized in addition to their presence is the unseen presence of God who is the King of glory.

I invite you to

Arlington United Methodist Church

1360 Murfreesboro Road

Nashville, Tennessee 37217

http://www.arlingtonum.org/

(615) 361-4896

No comments: