Friday, February 6, 2009

The appointment system ...

The United Methodist Church has what is called the appointment system of elders, deacons, and local pastors being sent by the bishop to different locations ... various settings ... for serving Jesus Christ by word and deed.

No matter how large or small the churches and communities were to which I have been sent it still amazes me that I have been chosen. But such is the majesty of God for he has chosen all of us to be his children. One of the scriptural phrases for this being chosen is 'God has adopted us' as his own children.

In the sending of ministers the bishop, cabinet, and the appointed are to be confident that in spite of the human interaction we are being sent to the place the Lord desires us to be. And so a similar situation was in Acts:

"Then after fasting and praying
they laid their hands on them and sent them off"
(Acts 13:3)

Today, whether or not the places I go were scheduled or expected, I will strive to see the places I go as places to which God has sent me to love God, neighbor, enemy, and self.

And my invitation is for you to do so as well.

No comments: