Thursday, February 5, 2009

So may it be today

The law of the LORD is perfect reviving the soul;
the decrees of the LORD are sure, making wise the simple;
the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eyes;
the fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever;
the ordinances of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired than gold ...
(Psalm 19:7-10a)

I would have thought that when anyone reflects upon "the law of the LORD" they would get downright depressed over all that the LORD requires. Yet, the writer of Psalm 19 talks about that law of the LORD as reviving, making wise, rejoicing, enlightening, enduring, true, righteous and desirable. And the synonyms he uses for "law" are decrees, precepts, commandment, fear of the Lord, and ordinances. And they are to be more desired than gold!

The context or place of all this in my life is usually the moment(s) when I know that what I have done is indeed right even in the eyes of God! It is what some faiths call an "inner assurance". It is then that the law of God moves me to be revived, to become more wise, and to rejoice, etc. In a simple thought it is the moment when I know that I have been of help and I sense the joy that comes from servanthood. Or it is also moment when I choose to have some time alone with God and I sense the simpleness of following God. Or it is the moment when my assumptions are challenged and I am being reshaped by wrestling with God.

So may it be today that I find moments of servanthood, and moments alone with God even if it includes wrestling with God.

No comments: