Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It is for you, O Lord that I wait ...

But it is for you, O Lord, that I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer. Psalm 38:15

There have been many times in life when I just do not want to wait. In confession, as a preacher I feel interior pressure when a "rough draft" of the sermon has not come together relatively early in the week. First choice for me is to have a rough draft completed by mid-day on Tuesday!

But there are some weeks when the sermon never really is written out or even outlined well. The prayers have been said, the reading has been done, the toying with words has been played, but seemingly no finished result! Yet it has been in these weeks that I have found that the sermon has surprising effective results. The Spirit of God certainly can work through the my reading, research, reflection, writing, but there are moments when the Spirit of God has to work around them.

Such, for me, is another reminder by God that it is God, not me, who completes the work. Still, it is for you, O LORD, that I wait.


No comments: