Friday, March 27, 2009

Taking our spiritual pulse

Judges 1-3 was of my readings this morning. In them there is this recurrent pattern:
  1. God leads his people;
  2. They follow God for a while;
  3. And then they don't live up to their trust in God by worshiping idols of their own work;
  4. Therefore, 'the anger of the LORD is kindled';
  5. National tragedy occurs;
  6. Israel repents turning to God;
  7. He sends them a human deliverer;
  8. They praise God;
  9. God leads his people ...

And then again they follow God for a while.

For me the central consistency to this pattern is ...

  • God allows Israel and all human beings freedom to love him or turn away from him;
  • God loves Israel like a good parent who disciplines his child in a healthy way;
  • God just sticks with us in spite of us.

This causes me to say to God, "Thank you for sticking with me! Just may I always be following you!"

May you and I both keep taking our spiritual pulse -- how well we are relating to God!

No comments: