Thursday, March 19, 2009

Just a small discovery ...

I have often wondered biblical reasons for our Roman Catholic brothers and sisters referring to their priest as "Father ...". And then this morning I read verses that I have read a number of times before and the word "father" stuck out to me. I have italicized the words in the verses below that came out to me.

I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you might have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers.
Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.
I appeal to you, then, be imitators of me.
(1 Corinthians 4:14-16).

From my perspective priest are spiritual mentors to those to whom they are "father". They are those who assist the ones they are mentoring walk closer with God. Such we are called to be as well.

No comments: