Sunday, March 29, 2009

steadfast love ...

But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God.
I trust in the steadfast love of God for ever and ever.
I will thank you for ever, because of what you have done.
In the presence of the faithful I will proclaim your name, for it is good.
Psalm 52:8-9

To be honest, I wonder if the writer of this psalm had observed an olive tree had unexpectedly taken root in a house of God in Israel, or was it placed near a synagogue on purpose. Irregardless, these words spoke to me this morning.

Olive trees are those trees that can last for centuries. It is estimated that some of them in Israel were alive at the time of Jesus Christ 2000 years ago!

That word "steadfast" is placed with the love of God constantly in Scripture -- the love that never ends ... never gives up. So thanksgiving is quite natural for such a love.

And, of course, the reflection on nature (the olive trees), and the steadfast love of God moves the writer to tell of that sure love of God: "I will proclaim your name for it is good".

May you, too, sense the steadfast ... unending ... love of God today.

No comments: