Tuesday, March 31, 2009

For me, a key point ...

Like sheep they are appointed for Sheol;
Death shall be their shepherd;
straight to the grave they descend,
and their form shall waste away;
Sheol shall be their home.
But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol,
for he will receive me.
Psalm 49:14-15

This psalm is a call to us, to me, when we are facing troubling times. The psalmist is daring enough to ask, "Why should I fear in times of trouble?" For him, the trouble does seem to at least be in part a financial one. Here are the reasons I see this in this psalm ...
  • he talks to both the poor and rich;
  • he states that those who trust in their wealth are trusting in the wrong thing;
  • he admits that even the wealthiest people die and leave their wealth behind to others; and,
  • he stresses that God will ransom his soul and receive him.

For me, one key point of this psalm is financial wealth can be good but never as good as one's relationship with God, neighbor, enemy and self because the financial wealth has an end while love relationships with others has an everlasting side to it.

I invite you to read all of Psalm 49 with this in mind.

No comments: