Wednesday, April 8, 2009

From griping to giving thanks ...

The 77th psalm I read this morning to me has a pretty clear outline. The first ten verses are a complaint against God. They indicate that the psalmist does not sense that God is listening at all to his/her pleas in spite of what he/she is doing. For that reason, the questions are asked of God in verse ten ... "Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he in anger shut up his compassion?"

In the last ten verses the psalmist recalls how God has listened well in the past as One "who works wonders". It is this remembrance that keeps building the trust of God's people in tough times. Such was a help for me today, so I share these words of Psalm 77 with you in these harder times --

I will call to mind the deeds of the Lord;
I will remember your wonders of old. I will meditate on all your work,
and muse on your mighty deeds. Your way, O God, is holy.
What god is so great as our God? You are the God who works wonders;
you have displayed your might among the peoples.
With your strong arm you redeemed your people,
the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.
Psalm 77:11-15

No comments: