Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A preacher wrestling with God ...

There are a lot of Scriptural stories where God is at war defending his people, Israel. As you read their history in biblical books such as Joshua, Judges, 1 and 2 Samuel, and 1 and 2 Kings wars occur again and again. In admission, such makes me uncomfortable with God. One work I read years ago explained the warring God by saying that he must, at times, remove the 'cancers' of the world. Such a thought is not a total solution to a warring God in my mind and heart but it is helpful.

The common thread I see in the warring God stories is that nations must realize how dependant they are upon God. In this stressing of our dependance upon God I can better relate. Such is true in the following verse ...

"When you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, then be on the alert;
for then the Lord has gone out before you to strike down the army of the Philistines."
(2 Samuel 5:24).

No comments: