Thursday, April 9, 2009

The great stone

The great stone, beside which they set down the ark of the Lord,
is a witness to this day in the field of Joshua of Beth-shemesh.
(1 Samuel 6:18b)

For me, holy places are those places in life in which I can say, "Yes, there was God!" The place can at times be geographical settings such as a curve in Interstate 24 toward the east that is south of the Manchester exits. Decades ago while making that curve I remember seeing trees of various fall colors. I was on my way to Emory University to attend Candler School of Theology. Even today that seems like a holy place.

For me, there are also holy moments, too, such as a tennis court where my wife and I played tennis on our first date. Another is the front porch of my home church where I sensed the call of God for the first time. And then there is the birth of my children ... and grandchildren. Now since I have grown older the holy moments are almost wherever my feet walk.

Such was the time and place of the stone in the field of Joshua for in that place the ark of the covenant that symbolized the presence of God was returned by the Philistines to Israel.

No comments: