Friday, April 17, 2009

just a little humor ...

I have been reading a work by Ben Campbell Johnson entitled Pastoral Spirituality: a Focus on Ministry. I have read a good many of his works. And while reading this evening I was sitting at the observation point at Beersheba Springs Assembly in Tennessee. It has a beautiful higher altitude view of high hills and triangular shaped valley with the green grass of Spring in view. Johnson had a one liner quotation that grabbed my attention that came from a Christian thinker named John Calvin. It went like this:

"Without knowledge of self there is no knowledge of God".

At first I sat there and thought that over. In confession, the first was self-reflection. You know, I am a son, a husband, a father, a grandfather, an elder in the United Methodist Church, a child of God. Now, will these thoughts help me know God better? Well maybe ... God can use any means of grace, or mercy, he chooses.

Right or wrong now I believe the knowledge of God and self indeed go together like water and soil for mud. So to know God better is to know one's self better, and to know one's self better is to know God better.

On the humorous side, maybe I will learn to better see through the mud. This one thing I do know ... God is love.

No comments: