Monday, April 13, 2009

If you will ...

This morning I will be beginning the sermon plans for the next Christian year that begins around December 1 of each calendar year.

It includes the seasons of Advent; Christmas; Epiphany; Lent; Easter; Pentecost, and for some Kingdomtide. The ancient traditions for the Christian Year pull from our Jewish brothers and sisters pattern of worship. That is, just as they chose Scripture lessons to be read each worship day so do we. We choose an Old Testament lesson; a Psalter reading; one from the New Testament writings, and one from the gospels.

I will be reading over each of these lessons in the hope that God will guide my preaching decisions. In addition to that I will be listening to suggestions of the laity in preaching topics and issues. Honestly, for me it sounds virtually impossible to hear God. But I believe in a God who is one of those boundary-crossers that now and then makes his voice heard that once said, "Let there be light ... ". Well, perhaps this week God will say, "Let John have God-centered sermon plans for next year".

For such I pray. If you will, pray that my sermons will be God centered.

No comments: